- Sunday, November 2nd-Daylight Savings Time Ends-don't forget to set your clocks back one hour!
- Tuesday, November 4th-Election Day/Teacher Workday-No school
- Wednesday, November 5th-Science Night at Keheley (6:00 PM - 7:15 PM)
- Friday, November 7th-Veterans Day lunch (We will have another holiday lunch that is separate from the Veterans Day lunch. Parents are welcome to join us this Friday; however, there will be the traditional holiday lunch in early December).
- Saturday, November 8th-Fun Run
Our lunch schedules will change on Friday for the Veterans Day lunch. The second grade classes will go to lunch at the following times on Friday, November 7th:
Reading: Our literacy mini-lessons will always focus on building strong comprehension skills, and we will be reading books related to our Science and Social Studies content.
Writing: Our focus for writing in the 2nd nine weeks is informative or explanatory writing. We will be starting a biography project where the students use multiple resources to learn about a selected historical figure. We will be using that information to take a piece of writing through the full writing process. Information about this project will be coming home at the beginning of the week.
Spelling: Our spelling pattern will be short a words (spelled CVC) and long a words (spelled CVCe and CVVC). Students will be working on spelling words with short and long vowels as well as reading words with those spelling patterns.
Math: We will be focusing on addition next week. Students are expected to be fluent with facts within 20 (by the end of 2nd grade, they should know all sums of two one-digit numbers). We will be working on strengthening their knowledge of math facts and working on adding double digit numbers with regrouping. We will be using the strategies based on place value that were taught earlier in the year; however, the students will be regrouping with those strategies. We will be using a 100's chart, an open number line, base ten blocks, and partial sums to solve double-digit addition problems with regrouping.
Social Studies: We will be learning about another historical figure that interacted with both James Oglethorpe and Mary Musgrove. We will be learning about Tomochichi this week.
Science: We will be discussing the seasonal changes that we are currently experiencing, particularly the changes with the length of day.